Saturday, March 20, 2010

How do I begin teaching my child social skills?

You cannot begin to teach your child social skills unless you clearly have an idea of which social skills you want to teach him. (I use the word him here for ease of communication. Clearly, there are many girls with ADHD, as you see on the cover of my book!)How do you find out which social skills your child needs to learn first? As you spend time with your child, keep a running list of behaviors that he exhibits that you deem inappropriate. Then, have a conversation with him to see if he realizes that he is exhibiting behaviors that others find annoying. If he realizes that this behavior is percieved by others to be annoying, you are on your way.

If he does not understand the ramifications of his behavior, please write me back and I will give you some suggestions on how to help him to understand the impact of his inappropriate behavior on others.

You must somehow get your child on board and agreeable to learning positive social skills so that the social skills interventions that you implement will be successful. Look for the next entry where I list a hierarchy of social skills that your child needs to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment