Tuesday, March 6, 2012

What would do you do if your Child with ADHD made Inappropriate Comments about your own Personal Behavior?

Children with ADHD arguably make comments to other people that may be construed as inappropriate. For example, I had someone say to me, “You laugh like a witch. Oh, I hear that cackle.”

How do you explain to this child that those kinds of comments are not only inappropriate but hurtful? I seriously do not think that anyone wants their laugh to sound like a witch’s laugh. Additionally, I can guarantee you that no one wants their laugh to sound like a cackle.
If you were in the same situation, what would you do? Would you have a talk with that child? What would you say to him that would not hurt his feelings, yet would discourage him from making those kinds of comments again? What would you do if his feelings were hurt? What would you say if he was embarrassed by your comments?

Please send me your comments, to which I will respond. Your comments will also help all of my readers to problem-solve those and similar issues that they have experienced with their child /teenagerwith ADHD.

No comments:

Post a Comment