Saturday, July 30, 2011

Children Understanding their own ADHD


Most children receive the diagnosis of ADHD and no one explains to them the derivation, the presentation and/or whether or not ADHD is a lifelong disorder. Therefore, the children are told that they have this disorder, but walk away with little understanding of how it will impact their lives. Oftentimes, many parents do not have a precise understanding of ADHD either, and may struggle to explain it to their children, which adds to the confusion.

Many of the children with whom I work, say the following to me:

“I have trouble staying on one topic. Do you know why that happens to me? “
They also say, “I have difficulty staying focused while I am doing my homework and end up getting up from my chair and walking around.”

 Finally, they talk to me about, “Why do I interrupt? “I am unable to wait for the other person to stop talking, among other things.” 

In addition, children with ADHD often live with a sense of insecurity, because they do not view their behavior as inappropriate, as others do. They watch others staring at them and becoming quickly annoyed with them and their behavior. They simply do not comprehend why they received that negative reaction.
More uncertainty ensues when the children are placed on medication and seemingly do not understand why they have to take medication, as well as how it will make them feel. 

What should parents and teachers do first? Get on the same page and try to encourage an honest, yet encouraging conversation about ADHD, so that the child feels some sense of hope, instead of despair.

More tomorrow…This should be a very long discussion…tune in!…

No comments:

Post a Comment