Sunday, July 31, 2011

Helping Children to Understand their ADHD


When parents take young children to the doctor to find out whether or not they have ADHD, please do not assume that they listen and really understand what the doctor is saying and describing. The doctor often talks to the parents and the child together, which seemingly is a good idea. However, the child is oftentimes unsure of what the doctor is saying, regarding terminology, symptoms, etc. 

The child may be asking himself the following:

Is he talking to me?
Is he talking about me?
What does ADHD mean anyway?
Does that mean that I am weird and strange?

It is imperative that parents become educated about ADHD, so that they can most importantly, understand this disorder themselves. Additionally, they will be able to explain all of the aspects of ADHD to their child and how these aspects affect him.

An 11 year-old child came to see me the other say for the first time. I knew that his mother had told him that he had ADHD, so therefore, I felt that he was somewhat familiar with the term. At first, he told me that he just could not talk about one subject, but instead, had to go from subject to subject, and asked me if I knew why he did so. 

What do you think that I should have told him? Return to my blog tomorrow, and I will tell you what I said to him. What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment