Monday, December 27, 2010

Admit it: This Child is so Annoying!

Children with social skills deficits may behave in a very annoying manner to both their peers and adults. They may talk excessively without realizing that they are doing so or they may talk so infrequently that people do not even know they are in the room. Their parents seemingly do not like them; their teachers seemingly do not like them; and other children do not like them. I felt so sad hearing one of the mothers describing her child in such negative terms. I guess she was being realistic, but even so.

How do some teachers respond to children with ADHD, especially those children who are hyperactive?

Michael had ADHD-combined type. Belinda spoke about the difficulty that
Michael had experienced in school, specifically in terms of one of his teachers’ attitudes: And it was a battle. He was in her classroom I think, for four months, because after four months of he’s not getting it, there was no action from her to do anything. Um, I had him moved to a different classroom; I went and met with the principal. There were several incidences that made me very unhappy throughout the school year. And I told the principal that at this point, he does not need to be in her classroom. He needs to be put into a different class, which they did, and he seemed to be doing better. But we still had the old he doesn’t like to write, and if something gets tough, you know, the head itches, I need a drink, I need to go to the bathroom. It was a vicious kind of cycle. Nobody wanted to take the time to help. Nobody wanted to help figure it out. Nobody wanted to make a difference. They all just wanted to be the one to say “He’s not getting it. There is a problem.”

Mary Ann told me a similar story about her son Billy’s experience with his gym teacher:

But also in the classrooms that were somewhat chaotic, [sic] a loud gymnasium where all sounds are coming in loudly, and it seems that there is chaos. He’s had trouble finding, finding his focus when it seems like everyone’s running around crazy. So, even though the teachers in gym felt like they were in control, in his perspective, in what he was seeing, which is crazy, so he’s going to add to it, and run around crazy. So he was having to go to detention, actually for his behavior in PE. . . . It would be that he’d mess up on Thursday, and he would have to wait for the next Wednesday to go to detention. And she even talked about in-school suspension for his behavior in PE. And that type stuff was really starting to weigh heavily on me. I’d worry about him every PE day.

Bess offered an example of one among many negative experiences Aaron had had in gymnastics:

Gymnastics has been a problem, like other activities that we have gotten him involved at one time or another (Mom laughs, nervously), because he has trouble going with the flow. And he gets distracted from what he’s supposed to do very easily, and that can turn into behavior problems with, you know, goofing off with other kids, also sometimes misinterpreting social cues because he gets so focused on one way of doing things. Children such as Michael, Billy, and Aaron have problems interacting with others. To those who are familiar with children with ADHD, this is obvious, right? Bess also remembered a time when Aaron spoke in a disrespectful way to his grandfather. I can remember when he was four and he talked back to his
grandfather. I said nothing, because it was like, you know what the situation was with the grandfather.

I don’t want to say he asked for it, but the tone and attitude and the behavior was such that Aaron was “back at ya,” you know. I did correct him. I told him, Aaron that was not right, even though my thinking was, I’d have done the same thing as an adult. You’re a child, you don’t behave that way. So, it’s always been a very tricky situation. I talked to him at that point. I did say to him, Aaron, you know, you need to apologize; that was wrong. To let him know that it was unacceptable, but at that same point in time I knew that what he said was something that anyone, any adult would have said in the same situation. But the problem was that he wasn’t an adult. He was a child. He didn’t know he wasn’t supposed to say that. That was how he felt, so that’s how he handled it.

Parents and teachers know very well of these children’s behavior and how others respond to it. They are also quite familiar with the social skills problems that characterize these children, as one parent described: As far as social skills go, I do think that kids with ADHD have significant issues with this. Sometimes it seems to be a matter of the fact that they do not notice their own behavior as being unusual or inappropriate in any way. Thus, they make no effort to control it. But, even when pointed out, they often seem unable to control odd or inappropriate behavior. I am sure that all teachers have come across students who are inflexible and even noncompliant, like Michael. His mom explained:

When I’ve got his attention, I tell him, “Michael, you need to watch it, he is your instructor. Don’t fight. Don’t put yourself in a dangerous situation.” And many a time the teachers say, it’s okay; I’m glad he’s asking. I’m glad he’s questioning. And I say yeah, but, you know, there comes a point in time when he needs to say okay, instead of fighting it all the time.

What is causing these problems? Check out my next entry…

50 comments:

  1. I admire the valuable information u offer in your message.
    I am very impressed to watching your KEYWORD.
    That is very authentic & fantastic.Child Behavior Problems

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire the valuable information u offer in your message.
    I am very impressed to watching your KEYWORD.
    That is very authentic & fantastic.Child Behavior Problems

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rani Bai:

    You are correct. In fact, if we can identify definitively which inappropriate behavior a toddler exhibits and what happens immediately before this behavior to trigger it, we have a better chance of helping the child to self-regulate his behavior (even at this young age!) and to diminish it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really i am impressed from this post .... the person Who created this post is a genius and knows how to keep the readers connected .. thanks for sharing this with us.I found it informative and interesting. Looking forward for more updates ..

    The blog is really informative and i like to share it with my friends.I love to come back on a regular basis, please post more on the subject.
    Your posts are simply fabulous and inspiring . Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the kind words. Please feel free to send me questions and I will answer them as quickly as I am able to do so. Also, please let me know the topics about which you would like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is by far one of the most comprehensive posts i've seen here and look forward to more of the you have always nice things to post. Thanks for this useful information. excellent post with great resources! This is by far one of the most comprehensive posts i've seen here.Keep us updated about this I would like to hear more on this topic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your information. I have been looking for this type of information that is interesting and good, Thanks again and looking forward for your post on making more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found your post very interesting. Thanks for the useful info!

    ReplyDelete
  10. scream if the spider Scares me and tries to land on me. Otherwise, I pick it up and toss it outside.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are very welcome! Please keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for the information i will go and take a look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It´s a pity to die so young and with that potential…
    We should try to live our life to the limit, starting today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love to participate here cause this site is really awesome, I was looking for such a site for many days. Hope this site will give us much more in future.herniated disc symptoms

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for your participation. Let me know the topics about which you would like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE IT, It was deep, thought-provoking, emotionally stirring, truly well-written and full of hope! This is
    my kind of read. Thank you so much! You have made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You might want to check out my book which is available on Amazon. The link is http://www.amazon.com/ADHD-Social-Skills-Step---Step/dp/1607092808/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324483103&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for such a nice share.I am quite surprised with this post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really i am impressed from this post .... the person Who created this post is a genius and knows how to keep the readers connected .. thanks for sharing this with us.I found it informative and interesting. Looking forward for more updates ..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Excellent information, this is exactly what I needed. Thanks. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Man I’m impressed with this informative blog, and in fact you have a genius mind. keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Excellent post.Thanks man.Want read more please.

    Thanks Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  23. hello, your post so nice. i always remember your topic matter.In fact, if we can identify definitively which inappropriate behaviour a toddler exhibits and what happens immediately before this behaviour to trigger it

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for your participation. Let me know the topics about which you would like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks a lotin fact you have a genius mind. keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is by far one of the most comprehensive posts I’ve seen here and look forward to more of you have always nice things to post. Thanks for this useful information. Excellent post with great resources! This is by far one of the most comprehensive posts I’ve seen here. Keep us updated about this I would like to hear more on this topic!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is really nice info.Thanks for such a wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi. Your website is more interesting. Thanks to you for shear.

    ReplyDelete
  29. OOh!!! Great website. We are really inspired from your post. Thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for a wonderful post. It is informative posts.

    ReplyDelete
  31. All approximate knowledge, opportunity- benefit in has blog. Thanks for your information.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for this useful information. Please update your fabulous project.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, it is an awesome and creative post .Your posts are simply fabulous and inspiring. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  34. The blog is really informative and I like to share it with my friends. Get a lot of information from this post. Please give us some more news. Thanks for your post

    ReplyDelete
  35. I like your information. I have been looking for this type of information that is interesting and good

    ReplyDelete
  36. I like your information. I have been looking for this type of information that is interesting and good

    ReplyDelete
  37. I like your information. I have been looking for this type of information that is interesting and good

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow!! i am very impressed with your lovely post.. i am so glad to left comment on this..

    ReplyDelete
  39. Man I’m impressed with this informative blog, and in fact you have a genius mind. keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This has been a so interesting read, would love to read more here....

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is really nice info.Thanks for such a wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I like your article, I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds also…I am happy to find so many useful info here in the post, we need develop more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing.
    Bodybuilding Supplements

    ReplyDelete
  43. What can I do as a parent of a non-ADD or ADHD affected child, from thinking how "annoying" the ADHD kids are? For example, one little boy (ADHD- I overheard his mom telling the instructor) really disrupted a summer sports lesson tonight. The other kids were upset, the other parents were upset. My child has already expressed she does not want to go back. Some activities should not allow these children there. His mom was really trying but it was not enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. then where should they go ? next its everything. Its you type of people that give the kids inferiority problems. They start to think they are no good no one likes them and so on and so on. "Some activities should not allow these children there" is bullshit sorry. that is so ignorant and teaches other children that some are wanted and others are undesirable leads to bullying and other things. suicide oh they don't want me

      Delete
  44. Thank you for this blog. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this blog into something that’s eyes opening and important. You clearly know so much about the subject, you’ve covered so many bases. Great stuff from this part of the internet.
    iUniverse

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thank you so much for the kind words. If you or anyone you know has questions for me, please send them along.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I agree with you that the children is really annoying.

    ReplyDelete