Friday, September 9, 2011

Do children with ADHD need visuals to relax them? Absolutely!!!

I do not know about you, but I love pools, swimmimg in them, looking at the sun glsiten on them, hanging my feet in them, whatever.

Think of a visual for your child or teenager with ADHD, so when he thinks about it, he will feel more relaxed. When I think about a pool, I feel much more relaxed.

Why does your child need to feel more relaxed? Children and teenagers with ADHD often experience anxiety concerning interacting with their peers, completing their school work and/or homework, asking questions in class, among many other reasons. If you have them draw a picture, find a picture on the Internet, or have them explain a specific visual to you that helps them to feel more relaxed, it will arguably be easier for them to overcopme a specific obstacle.

Do you think that  thinking about a visual would relax your child or teenager with ADHD?

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely think a visual will help my ADHD child. :) .. and I do think he will pick a pool or a lake or swimming with the fish!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bestisyettocome: (GREAT USERNAME!!!!!! We ALL need to remain positive and optimistic.)

    I am so glad! The key thing is to try to teach him to be aware of the feelings of inattention and/or hyperactivity that affect both his school work and his social interactions. Then, immediately upon beginning to feel that those symptoms take over, think of his visual. You could even have him draw a picture of his visual or find some pictures of his visual in magazines and put them onto a CD. Then, therefore, when the minute that he feels that those symptoms are occurring, he can go immediately to his CD and calm down while he is looking at the pictures.

    ReplyDelete