Thursday, September 8, 2011

When your Teenager with ADHD Starts High School…..

When your teenager with ADHD starts high school, he may immediately see changes in the number of choices that are available to him each day in school. For example, in middle school, everyone had to go to the lunch room, and in fact, teachers routinely checked each of the students to see if they had gone to the lunch room.

In high school, it is arguably rare that a teacher or an aide checks to see if students go to the cafeteria to eat their food. The other day, a teenager told me that he had not gone to the cafeteria on the first two days of high school. I asked him why he had not gone. He told me that he had not gone because he was nervous about not knowing where to sit. Then I asked him whether that meant that he had not eaten lunch. He then told me that he had not eaten lunch and that he only had had a small snack all day. He was famished!

I tried to convince him to at least try to go to the cafeteria the next day, if for no other reason than to find out where to sit. Has anyone had a similar experience with their teenager with ADHD?

No comments:

Post a Comment