Tuesday, September 6, 2011

It is the First Day of School: How are YOU doing? Are you Nervous? Are you Relaxed? Let's Talk

The first day of school is oftentimes an anxiety-provoking situation for parents. I remember feeling both nervous, as well as a sense of loss. (If my own children are reading this entry, is what I am saying a surprise to you guys?) I know what you are thinking...Come on, Dr. Rapoport, my children are coming home in six or seven hours!

That being said, my feelings on the first day of school were always based on thinking that my children's responses to what happened or what did not happen in school would be a harbinger of things to come. If something happened on the first day of school, would they come to me for advice, or just prefer to figure it out for themselves? As much as I wanted my children to be independent, I also wanted them to come to me for advice.

There is often a fine line between independence and dependence, which I am sure I crossed when it was not such a good idea, as you may have, as well.

That being said, I always felt that I was on a see saw between trying to figure out what I THOUGHT was good for my children and what was ACTUALLY good for them.

The first day of school is a good day to think in a proactive way of how you will respond and NOT react to your children with ADHD's behavior, questions and issues.

Let me know....

No comments:

Post a Comment